Monday, June 21, 2010

Hello Africa, tell me how you're doin'!

SABC in South Africa is using the catchy refrain from Dr. Alban's early-90's dance hit "Hello Africa" (which we had never heard before) as the theme music for their 24x7 World Cup television coverage. Every time they go to a commercial, you hear, "Hello Africa, tell me how you're doin' / Hello motherland, tell me how you're doin'." Here's a video for the song I found on YouTube (for the refrain, go to the 0:41 mark):



Bill and I started saying it to each other perhaps far too often, eliciting laughs every time. For example, Bill would say, with the appropriate African accent, "Hello Africa, tell me how you're doin'." I would (earnestly) reply with, "Well, not bad. I'm a little dehydrated and could use a bite to eat, but overall I can't complain." We then started saying it to random people in stadiums and pre-game bars. Lots of people would respond with a knowing laugh. Tons of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment